A brand new year is upon us. A fresh start. I have to admit that I love the ‘newness’ that January brings. I am always happy to press RESTART. A chance to choose new habits that will replace old default habits that no longer serve me.
Truth be told, I am a firm believer that each new day is an opportunity to restart. But, there is something about the changing of the year that summons deeper reflection and intentional goal setting.
Developing myself and growing into the person that I WANT to be is what fuels me each day. I hold to the conviction that each of us was born to grow from our experiences, and develop our unique personalities and abilities in order to improve, not only, our lives, but, the lives of others as well.
I believe my life and everyone in it is a gift from my Creator. What I choose to do with my life is the gift I give back to my Creator.
People ask me how I set and achieve goals? How have I found the time and the energy to teach/coach, research, raise children, publish 4 books and run a business, maintain exercise and wellness?
I start with what I believe.
My why begins with what I said above. My conviction about self- growth is a driving force behind why and how I do what I do. The challenges faced are opportunities to grow – to learn, to demand more of myself, to change what is not working.
Why I do what I do has everything to do with my children. I learned early on that they were my REASON, not my excuse. My beliefs told me that I had to model how to live according to my values. Preaching it wouldn’t do the job. I had to practice what I said I believed. My IF/THEN beliefs drive my day, my month and my year.
- IF I believe our bodies are a gift to be taken care of and respected, THEN I fuel my body by my choices about food, exercise and sleep.
- IF I believe that I have been given gifts and talents that can create happiness and ease pain for me and others, THEN I need to develop them, even when doing so seems futile and I mess up.
- IF I believe that my body requires nourishment to feel good, do the things I want it to do and stay energized, THEN I need to fuel it with nutrients and not just feed it with what tastes yummy.
- IF I believe that my experiences are meant to build me, not cripple me, THEN I choose to find the lessons, change my practices and help others to do the same.
As this new year begins, I encourage you to take some time and reflect on who you want to be a year from now. The days will pass anyway. You are already living by thought patterns and habits. Why not intentionally choose who your ideal self will be this time next year?
One word of caution before you do this. Use your imagination and / or a role model to envision your ideal self. Past references about yourself will keep you stuck where you are. Create beliefs that will serve who you want to be this year.
- What do you believe about your body? Your soul? Your mind?
- Who do you want to BE in your family? What words do you want your children, partner and those who know you to use to describe you?
- What are your best qualities? What do people say about your qualities?
- How do you want to feel when you awake in the morning? Throughout the day?
- What would you be doing if money and time were no issue? Who would you be with?
- What do you believe is your purpose for being alive?
- Think ahead five years for each of the questions above. How will you want to answer them then?
- Who you are is the greatest potential gift you give to yourself, your family, friends, and the world. This cannot be left to chance and poor habits. Life is a gift. You are a gift.
Today is a good day to start recreating you. A clear vision, baby steps, and a willingness to keep trying even when its tough WILL lead you to become the person you want to be, doing the things you want to do.
Every time you state what you want or believe, you’re the first to hear it. It’s a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don’t put a ceiling on yourself.
– Oprah Winfrey.
Ready to Start Your Own Transformation?
The first step on your health and wellness journey is to take a quick inventory of where you are right now. Once you know where you are, I can help you set realistic and achievable goals and help you develop a plan for success so you can achieve the change you want in your life.
Take this FREE 20 minute quiz to help you identify any disparity between where you are right NOW and where you want to be. Right now is the perfect time to think about your needs and take that first step towards your own transformation.
Let’s Do This – Together.
CLICK HERE to take the 20 minute self-assessment. It is confidential and there is NO obligation. But if after taking the quiz you find yourself excited and eager to get started and would like some help, I’d be honored to help you. After all, it is my REASON and my WHY.
I wish you love, growth and grit on the journey!
Receive Every Article And Update
Sign up to receive the latest articles and resources directly in your inbox.
I'm happy to walk alongside of you on your journey.