- A comprehensive account of what autism might look like in the classroom and practical strategies about how we can teach to these core deficits using ABA principles
- A personal account of the perspective of a teacher and a mother in educating a student with autism
Help with possible accommodations, modifications, goals and objectives
- A whole section that is devoted to creating “ABA style” Individual Education Plans and transition plans
- Examples of IEPs written with ABA language and methods
- Sample forms for data collection and skill tracking
One Step at a Time promises to be a book for those who need practical down to earth help in planning an authentic and meaningful classroom program for a student with autism. Based on sound science and experience, this book offers personal, down to earth, common sense advice that has been gained through research and experience as a mother and a teacher of individuals with autism.
The book includes a comprehensive account of the learning implications of autism and practical strategies about how to teach to the core autism deficits and strengths using the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis in a regular classroom. Specific strategies such as prompting, fading, chaining, incidental teaching, peer structured play, social scripting, task analysis, generalization, data collection and reinforcement are just some of the strategies described in non clinical and easy to read manner.
The author examines the differences between Intensive Behavior Intervention (IBI) and ABA and explains why ABA methods are often very familiar to teachers because they are “just good teaching.” A detailed account of how to write meaningful and measurable goals and objectives that match the needs of a student with autism is included. A whole section of the book is devoted to creating “ABA style” Individual Education Plans and transition plans.
Teachers love the practical examples of Individual Education Plans written with ABA language and methods and the numerous sample forms for data collection and skill tracking. Finally, a resource that is packed with information that is engaging, inspiring and empowering!